Martin Garbus Bio, Career, Education, Age, Notable cases, Height, Spouse, Kids and Net Worth
This article will answer every question you have about Martin Garbus. Below are some of the frequently asked questions about him.
- What does Martin Garbus do for a living?
- Who are Martin Garbus’s parents and siblings?
- What are Martin Garbus’s interests and hobbies?
- Is Martin Garbus married or does he have a girlfriend?
- Does Martin Garbus have any children?
- Where is Martin Garbus now?
- How tall is Martin Garbus?
- How much money does Martin Garbus earn?
- What is Martin Garbus’s net worth?
N/B: Please read the entire post to have all your questions answered.
Who Is Martin Garbus?
Martin Garbus is an American lawyer, who has been involved in different cases throughout the country concerning constitutional, criminal, copyright, and intellectual property law. In, addition, Martin has also appeared before the United States Supreme Court. He also appeared in trial and appellate courts throughout the United State.
jFurthermore, he has argued and written briefs which were submitted to the United State Supreme Court. Some of them have resulted in changes in the law on a nationwide basis. The ones that made change include one described by Justice William J. Brennan as ” probably the most important due process case in the Twentieth Century”.
He was appointed by President Jimmy Carter as an international observer in foreign elections to monitor and report on the elections in Venezuela and Nicaragua. Moreover, he has also participated in drafting several Constitutions and foreign laws, such as the Czechoslovak constitution. Martin has engaged in prisoner exchange negotiations between the government. He has written six books and more than 30 stories for The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Los Angeles Times.
The documentary film Shouting Fire is about his life and work. In 2010, he won the Fulbright Award for his service on international human rights.
In 2014, he was honored by the University College Dublin’s Literary and Historical Society Garbus with the James Joyce Award for Excellence in Law. Still, in 2014, he was awarded by Trinity College for his human right and free speech work. He has represented protesters in China, Russia, Czechoslovakia, India, South Africa, and Taiwan, among other areas.
The Guardian referred to him as one of the world’s finest trial Lawyers and the founding partner of the most prestigious Law firm. In addition, The New York Law Journal named him one of America’s finest criminal lawyers…. a legendary criminal Lawyer. On the other hand in 2007, Business Week had dubbed him ” Legendary” a powerful attorney who has received several media citations as one of America’s leading trial lawyers in the country. Most of America’s magazine referred to him as a powerful lawyer.
He began his career as a clerk, where he was working for an international lawyer by the name of Emile Zola Berman, who represented Sirhan Sirhan, and Epharain London. Ephraim London was a Supreme Court advocate and Constitutional lawyer and his firm represented Alger Hiss and top of that he won every one of the nine cases argued before the Supreme Court.
In 1996, he was the co-director of the Columbia University Center on Social Policy and Law. He also taught law at Columbia. He served as the Roger Baldwin Foundation’s director-counsel, as well as the ACLU’s legal director and associate director. In addition, Martin was also a director of the Lawyers Committee to Defend Civil Rights. In 1974, he ran for a political office and in 1977 he formed his own law firm known as Frankfurt Garbus.
He went on to teach as an adjunct professor at Yale Law School and lecture at a number of law schools in the US and abroad, including Harvard and Stanford. He was a Fulbright scholar who taught at Tsinghua and Renmin law schools in Beijing, China, in 2005 and 2006. Still, at the same time he defended the Chinese protesters, he taught the judges, government officials, and drafters of China new copyright and intellectual property laws. Furthermore, he took part in “rule of law” seminars in Shanghai and Beijing.
How Old Is Martin Garbus?
He was born on 8th August 1934, at the moment he is 86 years old
Martin Garbus Family
Who Are Martins Parent’s
He was born in Brooklyn, however, he has managed to keep information about his family background away from the public.
Martin Garbus Education
He attended the Bronx High School of Science where he graduated in 1951. After that he joined Hunter College where he graduated with a degree in 1955. He then joined New York University Law School.
Martin Garbus Wife
Garbus has managed to keep information about his love life private, but we will update it as soon as possible.
Martin Garbus Kid/ Children
He has one daughter, Liz Garbus who is an American documentary film director.
Some of the Notable Cases include :
- Defended Herbert Blyden, the Leader of the Attica Rebellion
- He won in King vs Smith where he argued in the Supreme Court after a trial in
- Served as co-counsel in the Supreme Court case Ashton v. Kentucky which resulted in the repeal of all federal libel statutes in the United States.
- Furthermore, he also served as co-counsel in Jacobellis v. Ohio and won.
- Served as co-counsel in Goldberg v. Kelly, 397 U.S. 254 in 1970 New York, Supreme Court entitlement case defined by Justice William Brennan as “perhaps the most significant due process case of the twentieth century.”
- He took part in Uniducted co-conspirator of Daniel Ellsberg
- He defended Lenny Bruce in a criminal case in New York, where he successfully asserted a First Amendment defense against an Obscenity charge.
- Don Imus was defended by Martin after he was fired by CBS
- Martin defended Viking Press and Peter Matthiessen in one of the longest and most bitterly fought libel cases in American history which led to the development of libel precedent favoring journalists and publishers.
- He went ahead and represented Leonard Peltier in a clemency petition to President Obama.
- Furthermore, Martin represented criminal defendants in the French Connection
- He managed to sue Eminem and Dr. Dre in copyright suit on behalf of Jacques Loussier, a French Composer.
- He represented Terry McMillan, an author in a commercial suit n San Francisco Federal Court to set aside a settlement agreement.
- Martin also represented Oksana Grigorieva against actor Mel Gibson. Where Oskana claimed she was assaulted by Mel Gibson while they were in a relationship.
- He has also defended Sikh nationalists before the Punjab Court and in the United Nations
- During the Emergency, he defended the Chief Justices of the Indian Supreme Court.
- Martin defended the Cuban Five who were accused of murder in the Florida Federal Courts before the United Nations and in their application for clemency to President Obama.
- He has also represented other clients such as Nelson Mandela, Andrei Sakharov, Václav Havel, Samuel Beckett, Al Pacino, Daniel Ellsberg, Philip Roth, Michael Moore, Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Michael York, Lauren Bacall, Agnes Martin, and many others.
Martin Garbus Height
He stands at 7feets and weighs 111.1kg
Martin Garbus Net Worth
He has a net of $1.9 million
Martin Garbus Twitter